- Contrary to common assumptions, tea tree oil and the plant where it is derived from are not related to the camellia sinensis, an evergreen shrub with leaves that are used to make the common beverage Iced Tea.
- Tea tree oil can be used as a natural bug repellent.. When mixed with a little water, the oil can be applied to the skin to repel fleas and mosquitoes. It can also be safely used on pets.
- Tea tree oil can be used just about anywhere on the body but is particularly effective from the neck up. It can be used to treat acne and relieve sinus pressure. It is also great for the scalp and hair with the ability to get rid of dandruff, stop and reverse hair loss and keep hair shinier, thicker and stronger.
- During World War II, anyone who produced tea tree oil as a profession was excluded from the draft until there was enough tea tree oil available for hospitals and to be placed in first aid kits for soldiers.
- Tea tree oil blends with many essential oils. Some great oils to pair with tea tree oil are clove, lemon, myrrh, rosewood and thyme. However, caution should be taken when mixing with lavender oil. There is a higher risk for rashes but this is not a guarantee.
- Tea tree oil should never be consumed. The oil contains terpenes which are incredibly difficult for the body to process. They can cause serious damage to the liver and kidneys in high amounts. While there are some remedies that call for a consuming one or two drops of tea tree oil, this should still be done with extreme caution and should never exceed the recommended amount. For this reason, the oil should always be properly labeled and kept out of reach of children and pets.
Tea Tree Essential Oil Today
Studies regarding tea tree essential oil are becoming more frequent as promising results are recorded regarding tea tree’s abilities to heal skin, hair and the body. It is used by many as a natural acne eliminator, a hair regrowth treatment, and as a natural alternative to cleaning with chemicals. As more about tea tree essential oil is discovered, its popularity will most likely increase. It seems that the oil is forgotten about occasionally but always makes a comeback thanks to its amazing healing properties.